- The Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute, opened on July 9, 1990, is the adult patient-care component of The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center
- The James is one of 21 members of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN)
- One of only 41 Comprehensive Cancer Centers designated by the National Cancer Institute
- One of 10 freestanding cancer hospitals in the nation and the first dedicated cancer hospital in the Midwest
- Ohio State has been a designated Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute since 1976
- One of only seven centers in the country funded by the National Cancer Institute to conduct phase I and phase II clinical trials for new anti-cancer drugs
- Consistently ranked as a top cancer hospital by U.S.News & World Report and Leap Frog
Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT): The James’ Blood and Marrow Transplant (BMT) program is accredited by the Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT). FACT accredited the BMT program for allogeneic and autologous transplantation, including clinical, collection (apheresis and perioperative services for bone marrow harvest), and processing. FACT accreditation attests to the high quality of The James’ BMT program.
JCAHO: The Joint Commission (JCAHO) is an independent, not-for-profit organization that evaluates the quality and safety of care provided by healthcare organizations across the United States.
The American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer: The American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (CoC) accredits cancer programs based on a comprehensive evaluation of: institutional and programmatic resources; program management and administration; clinical management; inpatient and outpatient care; supportive care services; research; quality management and improvement; cancer-data management; public education, prevention and detection; and professional education and staff support.
The James is one of only seven centers in the country funded by the National Cancer Institute to conduct both phase I and phase II clinical trials for new anti-cancer drugs. The resulting benefit to patients is that they have access to some of the most advanced cancer treatments and clinical trials offered anywhere in the world. When you participate in a clinical trial, you receive the same excellent cancer care you would normally receive. In addition, you have access to new treatments that are only available through the clinical trial. A clinical trial may involve the collection of cancer tissue and fluids, while others test new drugs or combinations of drugs and still others evaluate new approaches to preventing cancer.
Patients interested in learning more about clinical trials are encouraged to ask their doctor for more information.
The Hematology and Medical Oncology program at The James offers two excellent fellowship programs that consist of two different training pathways: (1) a combined Hematology/Oncology Fellowship that is a 3-year program and offers dual board eligibility in both Hematology and Medical Oncology and (2) a Medical Oncology Fellowship that is a 2- year program that offers board eligibility in Oncology. Ohio State was one of the nation's first hospitals to use robotics for minimally invasive surgical procedures. A world leader in robotic prostatectomy, Ohio State's James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute is one of the nation’s premier cancer centers for performing robotic prostatectomies and one of the nation’s leading robotic training centers for physicians and surgeons trained in the use of the da Vinci® Robotics Surgical System.
The Radiation Oncology Program at The Ohio State University has been accredited since May 1, 1971. The program offers a four-year residency program after one year of clinical training in medicine, family practice, obstetrics/gynecology, surgery, pediatrics, or in a transitional year program. Residents enter the program through the National Residency Matching Program in the second year of training after completing the first year of clinical training at any other accredited program.
Our academic, research-oriented institution has a long tradition of training leaders in surgery. Our residency program graduates have achieved prominence and success in community practice and at major academic institutions throughout the United States.
- First freestanding cancer hospital in the Midwest
- 228-bed hospital
- 24-bed blood and marrow transplantation unit
- 26 basic research laboratories
- Specialized surgical suites
- Perianesthesia unit for pre and post-operative care
- Chemotherapy and special transfusion areas
- Pharmacy dedicated to chemotherapy
- Leading edge radiation oncology department
- Chemotherapy suites at multiple locations, including the 2 James Clinic, the Clinical Treatment Unit on 2 James, Stefanie Spielman Comprehensive Breast Center, JamesCare at Kenny Road and JamesCare at University Hospital East
NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE
The James is one of 41 in the country to be designated by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) as a comprehensive cancer center. The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center (OSUCCC) is a network of cancer-related research programs. Nearly 300 investigators from 11 of 14 colleges at the University conduct studies that contribute to the prevention, detection, diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
James Nursing is an integral part of the hospital's three-part mission of patient care, research and education. We support the hospital mission through our vision of being world-class leaders in oncology nursing through excellence in patient care and by providing personalized, compassionate care to our patients and their families.
We believe in advocating for innovative and collaborative nursing care for our patients; supporting and guiding patients along the pathways of cancer prevention, treatment and adjustments to life with cancer; empowering patients with knowledge, while embracing hope for the future.
The James is equipped with several outpatient facilities with more than 40 physician examination and consultation rooms:
The Stefanie Spielman Comprehensive Breast Center (SSCBC)
SSCBC is an all-encompassing breast health center offering complete diagnostic services, immediate answers, far-reaching expertise, continuity of care, convenience, comfort and support. Our medical, surgical and radiation oncologists are specialists in breast cancer. Click here to view our comprehensive list of services, directions and more.
JamesCare at Martha Morehouse Medical Plaza
JamesCare at Morehouse Plaza offers complete diagnostic services, far-reaching expertise, convenience, comfort and support. We care for adults who are diagnosed with malignant or premalignant diseases or hematologic disorders.
JamesCare at UH East
JamesCare at University Hospital East is perfectly positioned to give you complete cancer care close to home. We care for adults with many types of cancer and blood disorders, including breast cancer, colon cancer, melanoma, lymphoma, lung cancer, bladder cancer and prostate cancer.
We are moving forward and are excited about the future of personalized medicine, which allows us to further our mission to improve people’s lives through innovation in research, education and patient care. Our commitment to personalized health care means several things:
- We are working with individuals to help them achieve and maintain optimum health.
- We are preparing the next generation of health care providers to offer a new level of cancer care for their patients.
- We are focusing our research in areas that show the most promise for addressing individual aspects of disease and disease prevention.
The mission of The James includes a strong education component aimed at preventing cancer. The healthcare professionals at The James are continually working to increase public awareness regarding cancer and to promote ways of improving cancer prevention and detection. Here are just a few of the resources made available to you by The James to help reduce your risk of cancer:
- Patient education materials, including cancer information, produced by the faculty and staff of The James
- Publications of The James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute
Healthy living recipes
- Family History Link: Personalized Cancer and Coronary Risk Assessment
Diagnostic testing services, including mammograms and genetic screening
- Prevention and screening information